Monday, December 9, 2013

IN GOOD TIMES

I can remember wanting to make a life sized Santa Claus for some time now.  I have gathered and dreamed and not gotten around to it. (nice for procrastinated)

This year I have opened boxes of Christmas goodies not seen in some time.  Some were from Christmases we spent in Colorado and others had Christmas stockings I made in the seventies.  Lot's of calicoes and checks.  Paring down has been fun.  My Boo has welcomed some things and the rest are destined for Good Willies. 

As I found makings for a large doll, it came to me that I should make Mother Christmas.  I couldn't call her Mrs. Santa. After all, we southern girls stopped being "Mrs." ourselves some decades ago when we requested The Daily Advertiser to publish our Christian names and our Surnames but not our husbands first names.  Because of our active Homemakers club we were often in the paper and they graciously agreed.  I add this side note because you, my children were too small to notice a difference and probably take it for granted today.  We were cutting-edge-women back then!

Mother Christmas has come alive for me this year.

Her bodice is a lovely printed velvet I had intended to wear myself.  Her skirt is lace with an overskirt of black and white check.  Underneath is a hooped skirt probably once worn by a fancy Southern bell!

Her face is a re-fashioned Mardi Gras mask on piece of foundry mold.  Eventually I might  make her a "real" head but for now I am quite happy with the way she looks.

I hope you will also make your Christmas merry!
Namaste-

No comments:

Post a Comment