Monday, October 8, 2012

HOME IS WHERE WE START FROM

I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.
-Sigmund Freud

This quote from the page of Mary Englebright's weekend wisdom really has me thinking.  I first wonder what Freud's childhood was like, then quickly switch to my own.  My father was a good man.  But I don't think he ever "got me."  I truly think he didn't know "what to do with me." 

Being his only child, a daughter who he didn't even see for two years due to the war, I am sure he thought he loved me, but back then and even now I suppose, parents, especially fathers, are a bit scared of parenthood.  True, the first child is a dilemma, albeit a magical one.  We want everything to be perfect, everything done correctly. Exhausted love. We "learn" on our first child, and most times it is easier on those who come after.

But looking back, I see my mother in the starring role.  She was scout leader, cook, seamstress. Even protector.  I know I am who I am today because of her.

For you my children who did not have all the love and protection that you should have, I need you to know one thing.  You are so loved. 

I send my love and thanks for the many exellent fathers I now have in my life: sons, sons-in-law, husbands, uncles, brothers, neighbors, friends.  For all you folks who sometines don't know what to do with someone in you life, let me tell you: hugs and giggles.  That's all we really need.

BIG HUG.

No comments:

Post a Comment