Wednesday, November 28, 2012

BONJOUR

I just learned from Hungry Girls website that today is national french-toast day!  Well, gee why were not we Cajuns notified?   Or us Texans?  We are the absolute professionals in this luscious dish.  Although she stuffs it with stuff, I am a purist and stick with the tried and true.  In Louisiana it's called Pain Perdue=lost bread, and was a use for leftover or stale bread. Another frugal Cajun trick.

Get some butter sizzling in a wide iron skillet.

In shallow bowl whip 1 egg, and add 1 cup of milk and whip some more.  Sprinkle cinnamon over milk mixture.

Then dip 2 slices of white...bread, one at a time and cook side by side in skillet until brown, flip them, brown the other side and put on plate.

I always sprinkle white sugar over my French Toast but my Cajun husband pours pancake or Steen's syrup over his Pain Perdue.

This has been a nice reminder of a favorite childhood treat.

I hope you try it.

Bonjour!

No comments:

Post a Comment