Thursday, April 11, 2013

SURRENDER




Yesterday I returned home from a three day woman's retreat near the Louisiana coastline.  I learned a lot about surrender.  The crabs weren't biting, but neither were the mosquitoes.  We were under a wind alert and finally the lights went off.  We shared wonderful food and stories and played games on the big screened in porch over the water.  And we slept.

I came home wanting to cook in my own kitchen again.  I saw a recipe on line and decided to try it out.  I browned four chicken thighs in olive oil to which I added a teaspoon of sugar, my Nanny's secret. As I turned the chicken, I seasoned both sides with no-salt Greek seasoning and cayenne pepper.

After the chicken was golden brown I added 1/4 cup of white vinegar because I didn't have the red wine vinegar that the original recipe called for.  Since some of my family is allergic to onions, I added a can of Rotel tomatoes with green chili peppers which makes a great substitute for onion.  I then stirred and simmered until the chicken was done.  I added a tablespoon of Tony Chachere's Creole brown gravy mix which thickened the gravy to Cajun requirements.

We ate it over rice and my honey said that he hadn't had such good chicken SAUCE PICANTE since the 1970s at his Uncle Mim's house. I didn't know I could make sauce piqante.  That man knows how to keep me cooking!

If I win the Lottery, will I hire a cook???

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment